What is the FPL Wildcard and when to use it? One of the most poignant aspects of the Fantasy Premier League is the wildcard. There are only two wildcards throughout the 38-week season so that timing of the utilisation makes whole lot of difference.
We complied a quick FAQ on the wildcard.
Also check out the AllaboutFPL comprehensive guide.
What is a FPL Wildcard?
A wildcard allows you to make unlimited free transfers throughout a Gameweek. Playing a wildcard will remove any points deductions from transfers already made in the same Gameweek.
You play a wildcard when you want to make multiple changes to your team, for example Gameweeks when teams are playing more than once, or when your team is underperforming or has a lot of injuries.
When using a wildcard, you must remain within your current budget. There is no unlimited budget when using a wildcard.
When can I play a FPL Wildcard?
The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season, once in the first half of the season (before Sat 28 Dec 19:30) and once in the second half of the season.
What happens to my saved transfer when I use the wildcard?
When playing a wildcard, any saved free transfers will be lost. You will be back to the usual 1 free transfer the following Gameweek.
Can I cancel my FPL Wildcard?
No. Once you have confirmed your wildcard it is final and can’t be reversed under any circumstances.
Can I use other chips in the week I use my FPL Wildcard?
No. Wildcard is considered a chip so no other chips (TC | BB | FH) can be utilised in the same week.
Do I have to make all transfer at the same time when I use my FPL Wildcard?
No. Once you have played your wildcard, any transfers you make within that Gameweek are free, including any you made before playing your wildcard, up until the next deadline.
When is the best time to use a FPL Wildcard?
Since no other chips can be used with the wildcard, let us look at the fixture list to come.
At time of writing, we know that:
- GW31 is a short gameweek and only 8 teams are playing.
- GW34 will also be a short gameweek since the FA Cup Semis are scheduled. #MCINEW is already off as these two teams meeting the FA CUP QF (so one of them will be in the SF)
- However, there is currently nothing scheduled for the mid-week of GW34 so postponed games (from GW31 or GW34) may be played
- Mid-week of GW35 and GW36 are designated for European ties
- Historically, some league games have been played, a few teams may play DGW
- Mid-week of GW37 is again free and the last opportunity to play any remaining fixtures so it is most likely a DGW
So, at initial planning it feels most appropriate to play the Free Hit on GW31 and save the BB / TC on GW35-GW37 for DGW.
With that, it makes most sense to utlise the wildcard between GW32-GW34. Also, some important issues are likely to be settled before GW32. First and foremost, Liverpool may already have sealed the league title making their top assets less valuable for the rest of the season. Man City’s continued journey in Europe may also shift their focus once they feel top four is more or less secure (they are 12pts off fifth place now). Norwich may not be mathematically relegated but if they do not win more games from now till GW32, their battle is over.
Teams with a clear shot of the top four will also look lucrative.
- Classic Fantasy Premier League Code: effv23
If you like what you read, don’t visit us
- Telegram —> https://t.me/FFtitan
- Our newest platform partners are allaboutfpl
The FF Fly has been playing various forms of fantasy football for almost a decade without winning anything. Mid-table Mediocrity is his favourite alliteration of all time.